Friday, March 27, 2020

February

It feels very odd to be writing about February at nearly the end of March, and I considered putting the two months in the same post. However, February was a very different month than March, so the two posts will have to come out pretty much right next to each other.

The major theme of February is candle magic and other warming, comforting hearth work. With Imbloc, or Candlemass, at the beginning of the month, it makes for a perfect theming. This is also the last chapter in the book, and I appreciate leaving a book on a note that feels like a big hug from the author, even if I'm doing things out of order.





After I didn't do much with this project until late January, I started off the month by trying the Sticky Honey and Date Tea Loaf. First of all, it's not sticky and it doesn't taste much of the tea you use to reconstitute the dried dates with. But, it is really good with tea. I think a honey or caramel glaze would add a lot to the loaf, and it's on my list to try for next time I make it. (The recipe as written has you drizzle some warmed honey on top of the loaf, but it sunk into the cake and didn't add much stickiness.) I will also probably add more fruit and possibly a finely diced nut or two.

Ingredients
  • 6 oz softened butter, plus extra to grease pan
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 3/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 cup of strong tea (or boiling water)
  • 10 dates roughly chopped
Method
  • Preheat oven to 350 F
  • Grease a loaf pan with butter 
  • Steep the dates in the tea/hot water for 10 minutes or until soft
  • Combine the remaining ingredients and mix until smooth
  • Drain the water from the dates and fold into the batter
  • Spoon the batter into the loaf pan
  • Bake for 1 hour or until the loaf has risen. Due to the honey and the sugar, it will look super dark, so err on the side of under baking.
  • Let sit for 10 minutes and then drizzle with thinned honey or other glaze 

As for the magic side of things, I ended up doing a lot of candle magic and the Cuppa Spell. Candle magic has always been the easiest for me to grasp, and it's the one I turn to the most. The majority of the time, I carve my candles, dress them, and then light the candle with my intention. I clearly remember doing a spell for self love on St Valentines Day, and I'm pretty sure I did a few more here and there. If you've never done candle magic, Mitchell does a good job of the basics in her book.

 

The biggest personal event that happened in February, is that I got dumped. Unlike my other break ups, this one was long and drawn out. (Basically, after you break up with someone, stop talking to them. It rarely works out.) So, I was feeling quite low, and the easy going nature of the Cuppa Spell really called to me, even though I didn't bring myself to do it until a bit later. I really like little chants and spells that you can work into your everyday life. Also, if you use a clay mug, all four elements are there for you to call on. I do love easy magic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment